2.12.2010

My roommate Erica called me one afternoon.
“Do you want to go to the Free Store with me?”
“Ummm...(insert half a second pause here)....YESSSSS!”
This place is fantastic and I am not sure why we don't have one in every town. People drop off their unwanted or unused goods and student volunteers sort it out in a way that is easy to navigate. They have everything from clothing to beauty products to office supplies to furniture. What a great way to recycle something that would otherwise end up in a landfill! If I had to chose one thing that Asheville has opened my eyes up to, it's the amount of waste we use. I have learned so much from this community about reusing, rethinking what you buy and passing on what you do not need. Every little bit *does* help.
Here is another example, for instance. A free market. Same concept as the store, but a one day event. Why can't we get something like that going in NH? I would certainly like to help be a part of it!

No comments: