2.11.2009

Love and Family in a Japanese garden...

Bruce got this giant piece of salvaged glass and had a unique vision for it: to create a custom piece to hang above his couch in the livingroom. He found me through Craigslist and wanted to have this piece done to match his Japanese décor. The symbols translate to “love and family”: he and his wife have two little girls and I wanted it to be a painting that would have traditional elements, but that would be symbolic and they all would love. Their daughter Madeline loved the pink cherry blossoms, and got to watch me paint the mural—she was home sick from school. :( I really enjoyed doing this kind of work, which has of course opened my mind to a dozen other projects I want to try. It gave me a chance to whip out my set of traditional calligraphy brushes that have gone unused for a while now. I have always been facinated by Japanese culture and art. When most kids were begging their parents to let them join soccer or baseball in grammar school, my mom was driving me to non-traditional art lessons on Saturdays (such as Japanese calligraphy!) and early morning macramé classes. :) (See mom? It has paid off!) Thanks Bruce and family for letting me share my work with you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that is a beautiful piece!!!