3.16.2009

I heart sweet potato fries.

I am stalling. I am supposed to be doing work, but while I am designing, the aroma of sweet potato fries is wafting through the air, making me hungry, and making Fred (the dog) sit on my feet and stare at me in anticipation. So, I thought I would share. They just came out of the oven, and I put them on a bed of napkins with a giant heap of ketchup, ready for eating.


Ok, I am back from eating them (and sharing with Fred the dog), and they were tasty. This might in fact be one of the cheapest meals you can make that isn't all that bad for you. (Ramen noodles takes the cake on the cheapest meal, I think, but they are full of sodium!) 1 large sweet potato will make a giant portion of fries, cost you about $.65 and there's lots of good nutrients in sweets, like Vitamin A (lots!), Vitamin C, Fiber, B-6, Iron & Potassium.

Here's my recipe:



Ingredients:
(1) large (or 2 small) sweet potato(es)
olive oil
sea salt (or regular salt)



-Preheat oven to 380 degrees

-Generously drizzle olive oil on a cookie sheet

-Cut sweet potato into 1/8-1/4" slices (the thinner the slices, the crunchier they will be, but the important thing is to keep them as consistant as possible)

-Line oiled cookie sheet with the slices of sweets and sprinkle with sea salt

-Bake for about 25 minutes, flip and bake for another 10 minutes (Just keep an eye on them, and when they start to smell like they are crisping, you will know they are ready...they DO burn quickly!)

-Transfer to a plate, layered with a couple sheets of paper towels (to trap excess oil) and sprinkle a little more salt on, if you like your foods salty

-Enjoy with ketchup (my fave!) or try some warm maple syrup on the side for dippin'.

You should really make these tonight. Kid's dig 'em too! :o)

No comments: